RAS/RTS Pre. Exam, 2008 : General Knowledge and General Science
Posted by Admin on September 14, 2010
R.A.S./R.T.S. (Pre.) Examination, 2008
General Knowledge and General Science : Solved
1. Minamata disease is caused by—
2. Government of Rajasthan has constituted one organisation to advise the government on reforms in economic matters. This organisation is named as—
(A) Economic Policy and Reforms Council
(B) Reform Committee on Economic Policy
(C) Council for Economic Reforms
(D) Economic Advisory Committee
3. Under which Article of the Indian Constitution, it is the duty of the Union Government to protect States against external aggression and internal disturbance ?
(A) Article 355
(B) Article 356
(C) Article 352
(D) Article 360
4. Which one of the following groups of organisms has significance in diagnosing the death by drowing ?
5. When there is a very heavy rainfall in the Pushkar Hills, where does floods occur ?
(B) Sawai Madhopur
6. On a specific day and time, temperature was 48°C in Churu and 24°C in Shimla. Two metallic cups identical in all respects contained water at 95°C in Churu and 71°C in Shimla. Which one of these two cups reached room temperature first ?
(A) Cup in Churu
(B) Cup in Shimla
(C) Both cups reached room temperature at the same time
(D) Data are not enough to find out result
7. Who won the Booker’s Prize, 2008 ?
(A) Arvind Adiga
(B) Aruna Roy
(C) Rajendra Singh
(D) Medha Patekar
8. The first woman ‘Four-star General’ in United States of America Military is—
(A) Haldun Woody
(B) Anna Maehays
(C) Mike Mullen
(D) Anne Dun Woody
9. Which one of the following acid is formed during the change of milk into curd ?
(A) Acetic acid
(B) Ascorbic acid
(C) Citric acid
(D) Lactic acid
10. What is the height of Guru Shikhar Peak in Rajasthan ?
(A) 1722 metres
(B) 1727 metres
(C) 1750 metres
(D) 1780 metres
11. Khariya, Raswani, Shobhala and Udisbhar are—
(A) The varieties of wines
(B) Actors of kuchamani khyal
(C) Villages of Barmer district
(D) The varieties of Kota Doriya sarees
12. ‘Archaeopteryx’ is a connecting link between which of the following classes of animal ?
(A) Amphibia and Aves
(B) Reptilia and Aves
(C) Reptilia and Mammalia
(D) Aves and Mammalia
13. Tick mark correct statement—
(A) CIMMCO wagon factory restarted in Bharatpur after eight years
(B) CIMMCO factory is started at Bhiwadi for manufacturing coaches
(C) CIMMCO factory is manufacturing chassis of trucks and buses at Alwar
(D) CIMMCO company is engaged in exports of coaches to Asian countries
14. Where is Port Pradeep located ?
(C) West Bengal
15. Mangla-Bhagyam, Shakti and Aishwarya—
(A) Are three schemes for upliftment of scheduled castes’ girls
(B) Are oil fields discovered in Barmer-Sanchore basin
(C) Are three universities established in Private sector
(D) Produce natural gas from Jaisalmer basin to supply Ramgah power plant
16. Among the crafts that have been shortlisted by National Institute of Design for Geographical Indicator Status is—
(A) Jaipur for blue pottery and Udaipur for clay work
(B) Zari work of Ajmer and block printing of Sanganer
(C) Embroidary of Barmer and wollens of Jaisalmer
(D) Paintings of Kishangadh and Namdas of Tonk
17. Pearl is mainly constituted of—
(A) Calcium oxalate
(B) Calcium sulphate
(C) Calcium carbonate
(D) Calcium oxide
18. Where is the famous ‘Finger Lake Region’ located ?
(C) United States of America (U.S.A.)
19. In which year did a major flood occur in Kawas in Barmer ?
20. Which sect has the headquarters located at Shahpura (Bhilwara) ?
(A) Dadu sect
(B) Vallabh sect
(C) Nimbark sect
(D) Ramsnehi sect
21. Ashtadhyayi was written by—
22. The whole dispute between Subhash Bose and right wing, after the Tripuri session of Congress centred round to the question of—
(A) Formation of Congress working committee
(B) Policy towards princely states
(C) Attitude towards central government
(D) Double membership of Congress Socialist Party members
23. Adamya Chetna Trust, Havells India Limited, Hindustan Zinc Limited and DSCL Kota (Shree Ram Group) are some Trust/Corporates related to—
(A) Production of handicrafts and industrial goods
(B) Mid-Day Meal Programme
(C) Infrastructure development in Rajasthan
(D) Special Economic Zone in Rajasthan
24. One Rajasthan-born industrialist contributed a sum of Rs. 22,000 in 1920s to C.V. Raman’s path breaking research which won him the Nobel Prize—
(A) Purshotam Das Bajaj
(B) Jamshedjee Tata
(C) Magni Ram Bangur
(D) Ghanshyam Das Birla
25. Who is the author ‘ANDHAYUG’ ?
(A) Ram Dhari Singh Dinkar
(B) Mahaveer Prasad Diwedi
(C) Dharam Veer Bharti
(D) Mohan Rakesh
26. United Nations General Assembly President is—
(A) John Major
(B) Miguel d’Escoto
(C) Jacquesrene Chirac
(D) Jiang Zemin
27. In which continent are the Atlas Mountains situated ?
28. Per Capita Income at current prices in Rajasthan during 2007-08 is about—
(A) 20,000 Rs.
(B) 22,000 Rs.
(C) 24,000 Rs.
(D) 18,000 Rs.
29. Nawalgadh (Sikar) in Rajasthan was in news because of—
(A) Bumper crop of kharif season particularly the production of bajra
(B) The government of Rajasthan has taken responsibility to provide the land to cement manufacturers
(C) Ginder Utsav is started during the month of Shrawan to attract tourists
(D) A private university is sanctioned by government for this area
30. Which one of the following changes occur when salt is added in the water ?
(A) Boiling point is increased and freezing point is decreased
(B) Boiling point is decreased and freezing point is increased
(C) Both boiling point and freezing point are decreased
(D) Both boiling point and freezing point are increased
31. When a person enters in a dark room from strong light area, he is not able to see clearly for some
time. Later he gradually begins to see things. This is because—
(A) Changes in the size of pupil
(B) Changes in the diameter and focal length of lens
(C) Bleaching and reformation of Rhodopsins
(D) Eyes become familiar with darkness in course of time
32. Exclude which is not correct—
(A) RUDA is functioning for creation of more avenues of employment in the rural nonfarm sector
(B) Bureau of Investment Promotion is an agency for promotion of Small Scale Industry projects
(C) RIICO is an apex organization engaged in postering growth of industrialisation in the state
(D) Rajasthan Small Industries Corporation is functioning to assist Small Scale Industry and handicrafts
33. The art style which combines Indian and Greek feature is called—
34. In which city of India, first D.N.A. Bank of Asia is established recently ?
35. Raika’s in Rajasthan are—
(A) Traditionals horse breeders
(B) Traditional camel breeders
(C) Used to sell goods from village to village
36. The first session of Rajputana-Madhyabharat Sabha was held in 1918 at—
37. Who is the author of the book named ‘The Audacity of Hope’ ?
(A) Nayan Tara Sehgal
(B) Salman Rushdie
(C) Vikram Seth
(D) Barack Obama
38. RIDCOR stands for—
(A) Road Infrastructure Development Company of Rajasthan
(B) Rail Information Download Corporation of Rajasthan
(C) Rajasthan Indoor Decoration Corporation of Railways
(D) Rail Infrastructure Development Corporation of Rajasthan
39. Inscription which throw light on the writings of Maharana Kumbha is—
(A) Kumbhalgarh inscription (1460 A.D.)
(B) Kirtistambha Prashasti (1460 A.D.)
(C) Jagannath Rai inscription (1652 A.D.)
(D) Raj Prashasti (1676 A.D.)
40. Jnan Pith award has been given to (06th November 2008)—
(A) Vinit Narayan
(B) Rehman Rahi
(D) Gyan Chaturvedi
41. For which desirable character the transgenic crop ‘Golden Rice’ is produced ?
(A) Vitamin ‘A’
(B) Essential Amino Acids
(D) Characteristic Starch
42. The world’s youngest King belongs to which country ?
(A) Saudi Arab
43. Mammoth is the ancestor of—
44. Which district in Rajasthan grows, in largest quantity, psyllium husk (planto ovata) or ‘Isabgol’ ?
45. Who launched the ‘Lasodia Movement’ for social reforms amongst the Bhils of Mewar, Bagar and nearby regions ?
(B) Govind Giri
(C) Surmal Das
(D) Moti Lal Tejawat
46. Chairman of Indian Space and Research Organization is—
(A) Krishna Swamy Kasturirangan
(B) A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
(C) G. Madhavan Nair
(D) K.M. Bhandari
47. Most stable Ecosystem is
48. Which tree is called the ‘Flame of the Forest in Rajasthan’ ?
(D) Paras Peepul
49. Which city is known as ‘Suncity’ in Rajasthan ?
50. Which was common among Brahma Samaj, Ram Krishna Mission and Arya Samaj ?
(A) None of these three had a political mission, but they helped to develop a spirit of patriotism
(B) All the three originated from Bengal
(C) Founder of all the three were educated in England
(D) Founder of all the three took active part in politics
51. Tick mark which is incorrect about NREGA—
(A) This Act spells out the type of works which are permitted
(B) Like in other government programmes transparency and accountability is also not possible in this programme
(C) This Act specifies the individual works but only for the scheduled castes and tribes below the poverty line
(D) The guarantee of •274 year employment during a year is possibly the most important feature of this Act.
52. Mahajanpad situated on the bank of river Godavari was—
53. Which mineral is found in Nathra-ki-Pal area of Rajasthan ?
(A) Iron ore
(C) Lead and Zinc
54. One of the following sites from where the famous Bull-seal of Indus Valley Civilization was found—
55. Tick mark which is incorrect about inflation—
(A) Inflation indicates the rise in the price of a basket of commodities on a point-to-point basis
(B) The inflation rate in India is calculated on the basis of the wholesale price index
(C) For some commodities retail prices are also considered for measurement of inflation
(D) Inflation rate going down does not mean prices are declining
56. Which district has the least population density in Rajasthan ?
57. Bio-magnification means—
(A) Fast spreading of cancer cells in the body
(B) Increasing the amount of pesticides in the organisms of successive trophic level
(C) To see the microscopic parts of the body by microscope
(D) Sudden increase in the number of the individuals of a species in a specific area
58. Chandrayaan-I was launched from—
(B) Tamil Nadu
(D) Andhra Pradesh
59. By which process, Alum cleans the muddy water ?
60. Match List-I (Development Programme) with List-II (Coverage Area) and give the correct answer on the basis of codes given below the list—
(a) Mewat Area Development Programme
(b) Border Area Development Programme
(c) Dang Area Development Programme
(d) Magra Area Development Programme
1. Eight blocks of Alwar and three blocks of Bharatpur
2. Thirteen blocks of four Districts
3. 357 Gram Panchayats of 21 Panchayat Samitis
4. 14 blocks covering Ajmer, Bhilwara, Chittorgarh, Pali and Rajsamand districts
5. Saharia tribal families residing in Shahbad and Kishangarh blocks
(a) (b) (c) (d)
(A) 4 3 5 2
(B) 1 2 3 4
(C) 2 1 5 3
(D) 1 4 2 3
61. Handloom Mark shows the standard of—
(A) Handloom clothes
(B) Craft works
(C) Hand embroidery
(D) Hand block printing
62. Which country has signed an agreement on civil nuclear cooperation with India in September 2008 ?
63. Who was appointed as President of South Africa after resignation of Thabo Mbeki ?
(A) Nelson Mandela
(B) Kglema Motlanthe
(C) Taro Aso
(D) Morgan Tsvangirai
64. In which year was the Desert development programme started in Rajasthan ?
65. Which of the following pair is matching ?
(A) Badla (Water-bottle) — Jaipur
(B) Masuria Sari — Kota
(C) Namda — Jodhpur
(D) Marble Carving — Tonk
66. Under whose Command Marwari forces were sent to Khanwa to support Sanga against Babur ?
(A) Rao Ganga
(C) Biram Deo
67. The ‘Hot Spot’ of Biodiversity in India are—
(A) Western Himalayas and Eastern Ghat
(B) Western Himalayas and Sunderban
(C) Eastern Himalayas and Western Ghat
(D) Eastern Himalayas and Silent Valley
68. Who has been chosen for the Bharat-Ratna ?
(B) Pandit Bhimsen Joshi
(C) Kanshi Ram
(D) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
69. What is the product found in large quantities in Churu-Bikaner-Sri Ganganagar belt, which is (i) a source of environmental pollution, (ii) used for raising soil fertility, and (iii) after value addition, is used in health and building sector ?
(C) Fullers Earth
70. In Rajasthan each state had a Mahakma Baqoit which used to—
(A) Charge the revenue arrears in good harvest years
(B) Make the payments of King’s dues
(C) Collect the dues from government servants
(D) Collect the loans for the Kings
71. Generally where coral reefs are found ?
(A) In temperate climate above 18°C
(B) Between tropics of cancer and tropics of capricorn coastal areas
(C) On both east and west coasts of continents and islands only
(D) On colder sea coasts
72. Which one of the followings is used in the synthesis of polythene ?
73. A bird’s eye view of macro economic developments under various programmes launched by the state government in Rajasthan is available in—
(A) Economic Review
(B) Reserve Bank of India Bulletin
(C) Economic and Political Weekly
74. How many are there ‘Million Plus Population’ cities in India (Census 2001) ?
75. National Water Development Agency was established in the year—
76. Author of ‘Nyaya Darshan’ was—
77. KANDHMAL is in which State ?
78. Indian PM Manmohan Singh is an elected member of Rajya Sabha from which State ?
79. In which province Muslim League formed their government after 1946 elections ?
(B) North-West Frontier
80. Which city can be called ‘the Manchester’ of Rajasthan ?
81. Pheromones are found in—
82. Which State is not a part of ‘seven sisters’ of North-Eastern States ?
(B) West Bengal
(C) Arunachal Pradesh
83. The main function of colonization in Rajasthan is to—
(A) Provide residential plots
(B) Acquire land by the government
(C) Provide irrigation facilities
(D) Allot land
84. Who is the Governor of West Bengal ?
(A) Gopal Gandhi
(B) Shiv Charan Mathur
(C) Surjeet Singh Barnala
(D) Nawal Kishore Sharma
85. Which Act introduced ‘Dyarchy’ at the centre ?
(A) The Act of 1909
(B) Government of India Act, 1919
(C) Government of India Act, 1935
(D) The Indian Independence Act, 1947
86. The symbol of World Wild-life Fund is—
(A) Polar Bear
(B) White Bear
(C) Red Panda
87. The Electoral College for the United States Presidential Election is constituted by the—
(A) Members of United States Congress
(B) Members of House of Representatives
(C) Members of Senate
(D) None of them
88. In what direction Monsoon rainfall in Rajasthan increases ?
89. Dhawadia were the persons—
(A) Engaged in looting of caravans and kafilas
(B) Who used to collect the taxes for kings
(C) Who used to stock the foodgrains
(D) Who used to participate in the race
90. By which process the sea water can be converted into pure water ?
(C) Electric separation
(D) Reverse osmosis
91. Place where the ‘Jal Durg’ (fort erected in water) is located—
92. In which of the following crop Azolla-Anabaena biofertilizer is used ?
93. To which school of painting ‘Bani Thani’ was related ?
(A) Bundi school
(B) Kishangarh school
(C) Chawand school
(D) Jaipur school
94. Which group of districts has highest forest area ?
(A) Baran – Udaipur – Chittaurgarh
(B) Bharatpur – Jhalawar – Kota
(C) Karauli – Sirohi – Dungarpur
(D) Banswara – Dholpur – Raj Samand
95. Which one of the following statements in FALSE ?
(A) The special rubber tyres of air craft are made slightly conducting
(B) The blue waves scattered more than violet waves of light so that the sky appears blue not violet
(C) A comb run through one’s wet hair does not attract small bits of paper
(D) Vehicles carrying inflammable material usually have metallic ropes touching the ground
96. Maximum production of ‘khas’ comes from which belt of Rajasthan ?
(A) Sawai Madhopur – Bharatpur – Tonk
(B) Gangapur – Dausa – Alwar
(C) Jhalawar – Kota – Bundi
(D) Dungarpur – Banswara – Udaipur
97. Who represented Congress in Second Round Table Conference ?
(A) Jawahar Lal Nehru
(B) Moti Lal Nehru
(C) Abul Kalam Azad
(D) Mahatma Gandhi
98. The author of ‘Vamsa Bhaskar’ is—
(B) Gauri Shankar Ojha
(C) Kaviraj Shymaldas
(D) Surajmal Misran
99. The Maitri Express train is introduced between the stations—
(A) Kolkata and Dhaka
(B) Amritsar and Lahore
(C) Delhi and Srinagar
(D) Lucknow and Kathmandu
100. Baxa Tiger Project is located in which state of India ?
(A) Madhya Pradesh
(D) West Bengal
1. (A) 2. (A) 3. (A) 4. (D) 5. (A) 6. (A) 7. (A) 8. (D) 9. (D) 10. (B)
11. (C) 12. (B) 13. (A) 14. (D) 15. (B) 16. (A) 17. (C) 18. (C) 19. (B) 20. (D)
21. (C) 22. (A) 23. (B) 24. (D) 25. (C) 26. (B) 27. (B) 28. (B) 29. (C) 30. (A)
31. (D) 32. (B) 33. (C) 34. (D) 35. (B) 36. (A) 37. (D) 38. (A) 39. (A) 40. (B)
41. (A) 42. (C) 43. (D) 44. (B) 45. (B) 46. (C) 47. (D) 48. (C) 49. (A) 50. (A)
51. (B) 52. (C) 53. (A) 54. (D) 55. (D) 56. (D) 57. (B) 58. (D) 59. (C) 60. (B)
61. (B) 62. (D) 63. (B) 64. (B) 65. (B) 66. (A) 67. (C) 68. (B) 69. (D) 70. (B)
71. (A) 72. (B) 73. (A)
74. (*) In India as per population Census-2001, the number of ‘Million Plus Population’ cities is 35. Thus, all the four alternatives given in the question are incorrect.
75. (*) National Water Development Agency was set in July 1982 as Autonomous Society.
76. (A) 77. (A) 78. (C) 79. (A) 80. (D) 81. (A) 82. (B) 83. (D) 84. (A) 85. (C)
86. (C) 87. (A) 88. (A) 89. (A) 90. (D) 91. (D) 92. (B) 93. (B) 94. (D) 95. (B)
96. (A) 97. (D) 98. (D) 99. (A) 100. (D)